Monday, May 28, 2012

Preserving Strawberries

We have harvested about 15 lbs of strawberries already this year, and still have many more ripening on the vine. We had been freezing them, but I had off Friday and decided to preserve a few.
Fresh Picked Strawberries

Stemmed and ready to turn into jam

Crush the strawberries

Add 1 Package Pectin

 
Add Sugar (recipe called for 7 cups, but I only put 4 in) and bring to a boil.

Heat up the lids in boiling water. I heated the jars in the dishwasher.


Fill the jars - The counter became a sticky mess.. Oops.

Load the boiling canner
TA DA! Jam!

For the preserves, I used Sugar in the Raw as an experiment. I think it worked OK, but the sugar did take longer to dissolve. This recipe (from the Ball Canning Book) was the "Heritage Preserve) recipe, so no added pectin, but there was a lot of "sitting" time.


About to go in the canner!

So, all said and done, we have 6 half pints of preserves put up and 7 half pints of jam. Not to mention, I'll have another opportunity to can next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment