Friday, May 11, 2012

Homebrew Yeast "Washing"

With this last batch of homebrew, I decided to experiment with harvesting and washing the yeast for re-use in future batches.  The yeast I had used for the Porter was a standard English Ale yeast that could be used for a fairly wide array of beers in the future.  When a beer is finished primary fermentation, the yeast have eaten all of the sugars in the wort that they can (to make alcohol and CO2), and have dropped out of suspension in the beer.  The amount dropped out is dependant on how flocculent the yeast strain is. More info: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_clarification.cfm

A few days before I was ready to bottle the Porter, I boiled 3 mason jars (two quart jars and one big 2-quart jar) to sanitize them and capped them full of the boiled sanitized water.  Put them in the fridge until needed.  

After racking the beer out of the fermenting carboy and into the bottling bucket, what is left on the bottom of the carboy is a thick layer of sludge-like sediment called trub, consisting of inactive yeast, proteins, and hop particles leftover from the brewing process.   So I need to seperate out the yeast to save, called "washing", by removing the stuff I don't want.

Poured the santized water from the 2-quart mason jar into the carboy, swirled around, and poured into the jar.  Put back in the fridge.  After a couple of days, it seperated into 3 layers that looked like this:
The top brown layer is beer liquid, the creamy middle is the yeast, and the bottom darker layer is the trub sediment I don't want.   So I drained off the beer liquid, and poured the creamy yeast layer into one of the smaller jar with about half of the sanitized water.  Shook it up, so it starts looking like this:
 Again, after a few days in the fridge, it again seperates into 3 layers:
 Pour the yeast layer into the 3rd jar, which again after a few days in the fridge, I have refined the yeast layer down to the small amount here:
So I will store this in the fridge until I want to use this yeast again, which will just require making a yeast starter to wake the yeast back up before brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment